For a bit of history, the Hot Toddy is thought to have originated in Scotland, either introduced by a member of the East India Trading Company or adopted from the Indian phrase for drink, toddy. It is a mixed alcoholic beverage that has many incarnations and modifications. Though the original and traditional Toddy is made with boiling water and spices, not tea, newer incarnations have creatively added tea! The cool thing about the Toddy is that there’s many ways to mix it and drink it!
- 1 shot of the Whiskey of your choice
- 1 cup of hot/boiling water
- 1 tea bag of your choice (I would recommend spicier teas like Chai or a dark Oolong or Rooibos tea)
- Honey, 1 tbsp is recommended, however you can be as generous as you please
- 1/2 a lemon for juicing (or store bought lemon juice for cooking, 1/4 cup), 1 slice for garnish if you want
How to make yourself a Hot Toddy:
- Coat the bottom of your mug generously with honey, as much as your heart contents to do so.
- Start heating your water.
- Add your shot of whiskey and juice the half a lemon (or add your 1/4 cup of lemon juice).
- Brew your tea separately.
- Once your tea is brewed to your liking, add it to your Hot Toddy, stir, and enjoy!